The Ford Fireworks will light up the Detroit riverfront TONIGHT!!!
Celebrating 61 years of the summertime tradition, the fireworks at Hart Plaza is a favorite among Detroiters!
Here’s what you need to know…
WHERE TO WATCH
If you plan to attend the festivities, you’ll want to plan to arrive early, as the grounds will be closed once maximum capacity is reached and re-entry will not be allowed.
Tents, drones, alcohol, weapons or pets will not be permitted, cooking is prohibited and backpacks and coolers WILL be searched.
Belle Isle will be closed to traffic until 2:00 p.m. and you’ll need a Recreation Passport if you drive onto the island.
Only 3,000 vehicles will be able to enter Belle Isle and RV parking is available on the paddock area, but there will be no canopies and tents allowed.
If you can’t make it to Hart Plaza or Belle Isle, here are some parks that might be worth checking out:
Mt. Elliot Park, Owens Park and Erma Henderson Park are good places to view the show, as well as RiverSide Park and the RiverWalk.
WHERE TO PARK
Drivers will still need to follow normal parking laws, however meters will not be enforced after 5:00 p.m.
MPD will offer parking at a number of city-owned garages and lots throughout the city including:
- Ford Underground Garage located at 30 E. Jefferson ($10 to park)
- Millennium Garage located at 32 W. Congress ($10 to park)
- Grand Circus Park Garage located at 1601 Woodward Ave. ($10 to park)
- Premier Garage at 1206-08 Woodward Ave. ($10 to park)
WHERE/WHEN TO AVOID TRAFFIC
Woodward Avenue between E. Jefferson and Park, as well as between Park and Temple, will be closed completely.
East Jefferson will be closed completely between Larned and I-375, along with Griswold between Michigan and E. Jefferson.
Here’s the press release from the city of Detroit with all of the information
- The Municipal Parking Department also will not enforce parking meters after 5 p.m. on June 25. However, motorists are advised to observe parking restrictions. Parking violators will be ticketed, and in some instances, vehicles may be towed. Motorists will be ticketed for:
- Improper parking (vehicles within 20 feet from crosswalk; within 15 feet from an intersection; within 30 feet of a stop sign or traffic control device; and within 15 feet of a fire hydrant)
- Parking in front of fire hydrants and bus stops or blocking driveways and alleys.
- Parking in designated zones, such as handicap zones (without proper credentials), fire lanes, no parking zones or no standing zones
Towed vehicles within the downtown area will be held at 11631 Mt. Elliott. Vehicles towed on Belle Isle will remain on the island. Detroit tow lot to close at 1 a.m. The fee for towing is $215 cash.
STREET AND FREEWAY CLOSURES
At 6:00 p.m. these traffic changes will go into effect…
· No northbound or southbound traffic will be allowed on Woodward Avenue beginning at Park and Witherell. Motorists may cross Woodward at John R/Clifford, Grand River, and State/Gratiot.
· All streets south of Fort and west of Woodward will be closed.
· All streets south of Congress and east of Woodward will be closed.
· Beginning at 6 p.m., freeways will begin to close. *
* The Detroit Police Department reserves the right to request closure of the freeways and surfaces streets earlier or later, depending on the volume of vehicle traffic.
The City will enforce a curfew for minors, ages 17 and under, that will be in effect from 8 p.m. on June 24 until 6 a.m. on June 25 for the area bounded by the Detroit River, Third Street, Lodge Freeway, Fisher Freeway, the extension of Fisher Freeway east to Gratiot Avenue, Gratiot Avenue, Vernor Highway, Chene Street, Atwater Street and Chene Park.
Minors are welcome to view the fireworks from any approved public area.
They must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (age 21 or over) if choosing to view from within the curfew boundaries.
Minors will be allowed to travel to and from work, school, church or organized activities.
Those in violation of the curfew will be taken to the Coleman A. Young Recreation Center, 2751 Robert Bradby Drive.
They will be held there until picked up by a parent or guardian.
The parent or guardian also may receive a parental responsibility violation ticket.
DETROIT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
For bus riders, the Detroit Department of Transportation issued these reminders:
· On June 24 starting at 5 p.m., the following eastside routes will end at the Bricktown People Mover Station on Beaubien between Congress and Lafayette. The affected routes are Van Dyke/Lafayette (#5), Gratiot (#6), Jefferson (#9), Russell (#40), Chene (#52), Cadillac/Harper (#67), and Ryan Express (#95).
Passengers going to the Rosa Parks Transit Center should board the People Mover at the Bricktown Station and exit at Times Square Station.
· Woodward (#4) will lay over on Woodward at Adams in Grand Circus Park. Passengers may use the People Mover (Grand Circus Station) to reach other destinations.
· All other downtown routes will start and end at Rosa Parks Transit Center. Passengers at the Rosa Parks Transit Center traveling east should board the People Mover at the Times Square Station and exit at the Bricktown Station to board eastbound coaches.
· Additional service leaving downtown will be provided after the fireworks on an as-needed basis.
· DDOT will have additional Conant (#12) coaches leaving Belle Isle every 15 minutes from 10:30 – 11:30 p.m. Passengers may board at regular locations and on Casino Way at The Strand and Inselruhe at the White House.
Parents can find lost children in the following locations:
· Downtown – Cobo Center, Atwater Lounge (southeast corner-Atwater Atrium) – (313) 877-8064
· East of I-375 – Martin Luther King High School – 3200 E. Lafayette Blvd.
· Southwest Area – Third Precinct – 2875 W. Grand Blvd. (313) 596-5300 or Fourth Precinct – 4700 W. Fort Street (313) 596-5400
DETROIT PEOPLE MOVER
The Detroit People Mover (DPM) will operate from 6:30 a.m. – midnight.
DPM trains will bypass Renaissance Center and Millender Center stations beginning at 2 p.m. on June 24. After 2 p.m. only guests staying at the RenCen Marriott and Courtyard Marriott hotels will have access to the facility with appropriate ID.
DPM trains will bypass COBO Conference Center starting at 6 p.m. when the facility closes.
Financial District Station is the closest DPM station within walking distance of Hart Plaza.
It is the next station following Millender Center and nearest to COBO from the street.