It’s National Taco Day, and there’s no better way to celebrate than by indulging in one (or two, or three…) of America’s favorite Mexican dishes! Whether you like your tacos with chicken, beef, or shrimp, topped with cheese, sour cream, or guacamole, there’s a perfect taco out there for everyone.
Did you know that the taco is a dish that originated in Mexico, specifically in the area around the Valley of Mexico. Tacos first came to the United States in the 19th century, when Mexican immigrants began moving north into Texas and other parts of the Southwest. Tacos quickly became a popular dish in these areas, and their popularity has only continued to grow in the years since. In fact, according to some estimates, Americans now consume over 4.5 billion tacos each year!
As you can probably imagine, there are almost endless possibilities when it comes to making tacos. Some of the most popular type of tacos include:
• Tacos al pastor: These tacos are made with marinated pork that is cooked on a spit and then thinly sliced. They are typically served with pineapple on top.
• Tacos de carne asada: These tacos are made with grilled skirt steak that is seasoned with salt, pepper, and other spices.
• Tacos de pescado: These tacos are made with fried fish and are often served with cabbage and a creamy sauce on top.
• Tacos de carnitas: These tacos are made with slow-cooked pork that is shredded or chopped before being placed on a tortilla.
• Taco salads: These salads feature all of the delicious toppings you love about tacos served on top of a bed of lettuce or other greens.
• breakfast tacos: These tacos feature eggs, bacon or sausage, cheese, and other breakfast staples served inside a warm tortilla.
Of course, this is just a short list. There are endless possibilities when it comes to making delicious tacos!
Well, here in Metro Detroit, we’re lucky to have a wide variety of excellent Mexican restaurants to choose from. Whether you’re in the mood for traditional tacos or something a little more adventurous, there’s sure to be a spot on this list that will hit the spot. So grab a group of friends and head out to one of these top-notch Mexican eateries tonight!